The Gift of Music, Part Two

November 16, 2012
Special shout-out to the Loyola delegation and other Jesuit friends beginning the Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice in Arlington, VA today!

Well, my song-of-the-day efforts failed after two. So for those who are interested, here is the full playlist from my lovely Loyola students, with lines particularly poignant to me in italics. (See original post "The Gift of Music" if you're confused.)

“My Girl”, the Temptations. Thanks, Stef Mule!
I don’t need no money, fortune, or fame. I’ve got all the riches one (woman) can claim.
“Today My Life Begins”, Bruno Mars. Thanks, Ryan Kearns!
A whole new world is waiting. It’s mine for the taking.
“Who I Am”, Jessica Andrews. Thanks, Laura McCormack!
Sometimes I’m clueless and I’m clumsy, but I’ve got friends that love me. They know just where I stand.
“Human”, Natalie Grant. Thanks, Meghan McHale!
Every life has a choice to rise up and fill the void.
“Dancing in the Moonlight”, King Harvest. Thanks, Katie Joumas!
We get it almost every night when that moon is big and bright. It’s a supernatural delight.
“I Choose”, India Arie. Thanks, Kristin Witte!
I’m dropping these bags, I’m making room for my joy. And I choose to be the best that I can be.
“Into the West”, from Lord of the Rings. Thanks, Kevin Harrington!
“You’ve Got a Friend”, James Taylor. Thanks Chris DelBello!
They'll take your soul if you let them, but don't you let them.
“Awake My Soul”, Mumford & Sons. Thanks Claire Cummings!
Where you invest your love, you invest your life.
“Man in the Mirror”, Michael. Thanks Chrissy Anastasio!
If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change.
“Sweet Serendipity”, Lee DeWyze. Thanks, Ed Ortiz!
I don't want to hold on; I want the strength to let go.
“A Beautiful Day”, India Arie. Thanks, Christina Fahey!
I wonder how life will surprise me today.
You can still smell the roses and be on a mission!
“The Winner Is”, Devotchka. Thanks again, Christina!
Just ask and you'll receive beyond your wildest dreams.
“Greatest Love of All”, Whitney. Thanks, Vanessa Gailius!
If I fail, if I succeed- at least I’ll live as I believe.
“Wherever You Go”, Audrey Assad. Thanks, Jen Bishop!
All that you see her you'll soon leave behind; so open your hands and look into my eyes.
“Below My Feet”, Mumford & Sons. Thanks, Jimmy Coughlin!
Let me learn from where I have been. Keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn.
“For Good”, from Wicked. Thanks, Kelli Alberici!
So much of me is made from what I learned from you. 
“If I Ever Leave This World Alive”, Flogging Molly. Thanks, Laura Biesiadecki!
Wherever I am you'll always be.
“Send Me On My Way”, Rusted Root. (My prom song from 1996. Apparently now a classic.) Thanks, Jonathan Pennachia & Tommy O’Donnell!

And a few from the 17 song c.d. made by Kristen McNeil. Thank you Kristen!
"Follow You Into the Dark", Mumford & Sons
If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks, then I'll follow you into the dark.
"Beautiful", L2
You never know what you have until it's gone.
"Someday", Rob Thomas
Maybe, someday, we'll live our lives out loud.
"Things That Matter", Rascal Flatts
You don't wanna leave this world with "Why didn't I...?"

1 comment: