Election Day

November 6, 2012

Our problems stem from our acceptance of this filthy, rotten system. Dorothy Day

It's been a great gift to avoid this last week of SuperPAC commercials, campaign phone calls, and media obsession at the expense of more critical news. (Isn't there still a war going on in Syria??) Yet, I impulsively turned on NPR this morning to hear the beginning of election day coverage, not that there's any election news to report at that hour. But my anxiety got the best of me, and my fingernails have suffered all day because of that election anxiety.

Despite his many flaws, I have my hopes set in one direction, of course. And I hope to wake up in the morning to the news of his victory.

More importantly, there are some significant human rights issues at stake on several state ballots today, including Maryland. Those results will change things for our neighbors, coworkers, and friends of friends; so let's hope and pray that people (especially Catholics!) are taking their responsibility to be faithful citizens seriously today, voting with consciences directed toward the dignity of every person, especially those on the margins.

No comments:

Post a Comment