A Photo Tour of Crestone

November 17, 2012
Happy Birthday to my older and wiser sister, Kathleen Haley! Wow, 36 already?
Just to be a blessing; just to live is holy. Rabbi Abraham Heschel

As promised, here's a glimpse of the booming metropolis of Crestone, Colorado, the land of Subaru wagons. (I counted 15 on my 2 mile walk into town.) There's a bumper sticker on sale in one of the shops that aptly characterizes many of this town's residents: "Getting Spiritual in Crestone"

Here we go:
This first photo is simply to justify why I'm out of breath before completing a 5 minute walk. 
8000 ft is no joke.


If you ever find yourself in Crestone unexpectedly and unprepared, have no fear. This handy information center can tell you everything you need to know. And I don't doubt that those two walls pretty much sum it up. 



The first business to greet you as you enter town is the Elephant Cloud Tea Shop. In addition to tea, they seem to also specialize in fresh organic produce, local honey, and Zumba classes. 


Located right next door is the famous, I mean WORLD FAMOUS Crestone Freebox. You'll find clothes, books, household appliances, and more in this open air Buddhist market.


Next is the Crestone Creative Trade Co. Sounds cool, right? I venture inside, hoping to find a souvenir or two. 


Clearly I missed the sandwich board listing their specialties. None of which I needed that particular day.


Across the way is Curt's Old Country Store & Cafe. This is the mini-Whole Foods where I picked up some "necessities" after first arriving to Nada. I've since met Curt and his wife, Bernadette. They're a beautiful couple of 43 years who are devoted friends of the Carmelite community- even to the point of following them  from Sedona to Crestone many years ago. Unfortunately, a larger all-purpose grocery store moved in down the street and Curt is preparing for his store to soon close. 


Across from Curt's is the Bliss Cafe. 
You're getting hungry...very hungry. 
Maybe, but who knows what those cooks have been smoking!



 And then there's....


No, I didn't slip in a picture from Bolivia. 
This is still Crestone- a place where you're not at all surprised to see a llama tied to a fence post. 

After my 7 minute stroll around town- literally- I stopped in the Shambala Cafe for a hot coffee before returning to Nada.


Inside there's a typical looking community board. Typical of Crestone, that is. 
Need a goat for $200?
Need someone to take books off top shelves? 


The walk back to Nada always seems faster on the way out town. Maybe it's because I'm running. 






3 comments:

  1. This is so hilarious. I must travel to Crestone soon! I don't know why I haven't put out my shingle as a "book getter-downer" before. I bet there is big money in that sort of service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your profit would be less than the price of the shingle!

    ReplyDelete