Beginnings

Our greatest challenge of the day is: how to bring about a revolution of the heart, a revolution that has to start with each one of us. Dorothy Day

I’ve just quit my job, packed my possessions in an 8 X 5 X 7 pod, and am headed to Crestone, Colorado for a 5 week contemplative experience in the Carmelite tradition. As I’ve assured my mother (a former nun), I am not interested in becoming a Carmelite, just becoming more like a Carmelite. I’m attracted to the their balance of solitude and “togetherness” (two necessary components of any healthy community) as I am to the Ignatian ideal of contemplation and action. But given my chosen professions- ministry & social work- the solitude/contemplative opportunities more often take a back seat to active together time.  My hope for this retreat is to cultivate some contemplative practices for integration into my very active “normal” life. A lesser, though still vital, goal is to simply rest and recover from 7 years of university ministry before returning to the working world.

I don’t quite know how, or even if, this 40 day journey will revolutionize my heart, but it’s worth a try, right?

And so, allow me to share these days with Dorothy Day’s challenge leading the way.

Most quotes come from Dorothy's writings or readings, from "On Pilgrimage" and "The Dorothy Day Book."


2 comments:

  1. I love this! I am super excited for your time in the desert--is that an appropriate thing to say about your contemplative retreat? Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaymers! Sure, time in the desert sounds good to me!

      Delete