Sandy

October 28, 2012

Celebrations end. Sandy is on her way. 24 hour news coverage begins in earnest. Will it or won’t it hit us? Will I or won’t I fly out Tuesday morning? Dad and I toss around these questions all day, while scrounging for batteries, and then candles, until decisions are made for us. Schools, federal government offices, AND flights will be shut down until Wednesday.


I’m frustrated at what seem like prematurely extreme measures, since the flight change cuts my trip to Santa Fe in half. But it does give me more time to find health insurance… not that sitting in a hut in the desert will invite much risk or disease into my life. Plus, I'm quite certain Dorothy Day never had health insurance. She probably would have gone without even if she could afford it for reasons of solidarity and anarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment