Penultimate Day in the Desert

December 4, 2012
Tomorrow I must leave…and it is so beautiful, so peaceful here, far from noise and traffic and the world. There are good books here to be read and studied – Gill and Belloc and Chesterton, sociologists, historians, and philosophers. There are the Scriptures to be studied. There is God’s beautiful world, the world He loved around us, with its simple people, hard-working people, poor people. Life is beautiful here, and I hate to go… It is so good to have such beginnings as this to come to, for “refreshment, light, and peace.” Dorothy Day

As I prepare to leave Nada tomorrow I’m having a hard time coming to any worthwhile conclusion about the experience. Dorothy’s thoughts above were written at the end of a visit to her daughter’s farm in West Virginia, and they do a good job of summing up my time in Crestone. The beauty, the peace, the books, the people…it’s all been so good.

My 40-day journey officially ends Sunday when I return to the east coast. Before then I’ll be considering a proper ending to this contemplative experience, and probably this blog, as I meander through Denver, Boulder, and Ft. Collins.

For now, I’ll leave you with my final weekly reflection that I shared with the group today. Maybe it will have something to say to those of you with similar anxieties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment